About Me

My photo
Tea-drinking introvert found either behind a book or within arm's reach of one. Book reviewer, and book sniffer. You may have seen me on W24, BooksLive, Aerodrome, Bark Magazine, CultNoise Magazine, or Expound Magazine.

2 Dec 2019

Review: Elevator Pitch by Linwood Barclay


It would be safe to say that a murder would be the low point of your week. However, for the New York Police Department, this murder is just the start of a nightmare. Following the appearance of an unrecognisable corpse on a Sunday, the city is also victim to an elevator accident on Monday. And again on Tuesday. And Wednesday. With evidence that the elevators have been tampered with, and the possibility of the entire city being a target, Manhattan is basically on lock down. In an area with so many homes and offices above the ground, without elevators, chaos erupts.

Barbara Matheson, a journalist with a penchant for pointing out the failings of the mayor, could easily use the elevator crisis as fuel for her column. However, when she starts to see a pattern between the incidents that leads back to the mayor, she must overcome her distaste for him, swallow her pride, and warn him.

I know what you’re thinking (I mean that I hope that I know what you are thinking – there’s no way to be sure, I’m no psychic) – just how can a thriller be set on an elevator – besides the possibility of going into free-fall, or getting stuck, is there anything really dangerous about it? If I hoped correctly, and you’re nodding at my pseudo-psychic ability to make deductions, I am pleased to tell you that we were both wrong!

Elevator Pitch is gritty, dark, and immense fun. I thought, pretty early into this story, that I had it all worked out, went to far as to allow myself to consider that I’d predicted the ending. I am delighted to inform you that I was way off the mark. It turns out, Linwood Barclay has an immense skill; the ability to blindside. Satisfying and sexy, this book hits all the marks. Elevator Pitch is a great addition to the thriller genre; it’s a next-level ride that will leave you floored.

Elevator Pitch by Linwood Barclay is published by HQ, an imprint of HarperCollinsPublishers, and is available in South Africa from Jonathan Ball Publishers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Let me know!